This teriyaki chicken is literally the best meal to share with friends at the weekend but is also easy to rustle up during the week. Served on a bed of zoodles and coodles (zucchini/courgette and carrot noodles for those of you who are not into veggie slang!) alongside the yummiest broccoli, green bean and shiitake mushroom stir fry. The sweet, salty and fragrant marinade doubles up as the best sauce to really coat all those veggie noodles making it taste oh so good for both you and your body!
This dish is full of vitamins, minerals and fibre from all the lovely veggies as well as extra immune boosting goodness from the shiitake mushrooms, garlic and plenty of anti-inflammatory ginger. By including a a range of both cooked and raw veggies ensures optimum nutrition: cooked veggies for ease of digestion and raw veggies to withhold all those important heat sensitive vitamins and digestive enzymes.
This meal makes you feel so satisfied yet nourished at the same time. Its an absolute winner, I hope you love it too.
For the chicken:
- 4 organic chicken thighs
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1 desert spoon maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 cup water or bone broth
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
For the stir fry:
- 1 pack of purple sprouting or tender stem broccoli
- 1 pack of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 pack of green beans
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Inch piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 chilli chopped (to taste)
For the noodles:
- 3 courgette
- 3 carrots
- Finely grate or blend in a food processor the ginger and garlic and add to bowl alongside the tamari, maple syrup or honey and mix.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and leave to marinade for 15 minutes (or as long as possible – pre marinading is great and it can be left in the fridge or freeze to make an extra speedy dinner!)
- Meanwhile spiralize the courgettes and carrots and place in a large serving dish.
- Once the chicken has marinaded put in a baking dish with the added water – cover and cook for around 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking stir fry the broccoli, green beans and shiitake mushrooms in the coconut oil, garlic and ginger and add the coriander to finish
- Once the chicken has been cooked remove the cover, pour over some of the cooking juices and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cook for another 10 minutes (or until chicken is sufficiently cooked and caramelised)
- Place the stir-fried vegetables ontop of the spiralized veggies and then pour over the chicken juices and chicken.
- Toss all together, serve and enjoy!