These lime and blueberry cupcakes with coconut and cacao ganache are so fun to make at the weekend. The recipe is super easy and much like making a conventional cake (just with a slightly more nutritious ingredients!). Being gluten and refined sugar free also minimises the lethargic and bloated feeling you might experience when eating sugar laden cake.
I love the citrusy flavour in combination with the rich and creamy chocolate ganache and the burst of sweet juiciness from the blueberries. Delicious with a cup of rosebud tea!
Makes approx 12 cupcakes
For the cake:
- 6oz of organic, grassfed butter (softened)
- 6 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4oz buckwheat flour
- 2oz ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb of soda
- zest of 3 limes
- juice of 1 lime
- 100g blueberries
For the ganache:
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (when solid – if liquid place in the fridge and leave in a cool place)
- 2 tablespoons of cacao
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Zest of 1 lime
- Coconut chips
- To make the cake mixture start by creaming the softened butter and maple syrup together in a bowl until fully combined and turning slightly paler.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk together to combine.
- Combine in a bowl the buckwheat flour and bicarbonate of soda and sieve from a hight into the mixture (the more air you add, the lighter the cake!).
- Add the ground almonds and combine.
- Finally add the zest of 3 limes and the juice of 1 lime and combine before finally adding the blueberries.
- Evenly distribute into around 12 cupcake cases and cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for around 30 minutes (or until they are nicely golden and spongy to the touch).
- Leave to cool on a rack before making the ganache (adding the ganache whilst they are still warm will cause it to melt!)
- To make the ganache add the coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao and lime zest into a bowl and stir/whisk to combine.
- Add a spoonful to each cooled cupcake and smooth over to your desire to look pretty!
- Finally decorate with coconut chips and blueberries and try not to eat them all at once!