Quarantine ignited a love for banana bread in many of us: easy to make, delicious & comforting whilst also satisfying that baking urge, it is the perfect treat for cosy days. I have combined nutrient dense ingredients in this recipe to help create a naturally gluten, dairy & refined sugar version that doesn’t compromise on taste. Perfect in the afternoon with a cup of tea or toasted in the morning with a good coating of almond butter. Feel free to get inventive with flavours, switching the nuts & seeds or adding dried fruit, berries, oats or dark chocolate chips for a more indulgent treat!
To make you will need:
3 large ripe bananas
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
Handful of chopped walnuts
1 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl mash 2 of the bananas, add the eggs, melted coconut oil, maple syrup & stir to combine.
- Sieve in the flour, cinnamon & baking powder & then add the ground almonds, chia seeds & chopped nuts – folding the dry ingredients into the wet to combine.
- Grease or line a loaf tin & fill with the mixture, then slice the remaining banana & place on top along with a extra sprinkling of nuts for some added crunch!
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for around 35-40 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Serve on its own, toasted with nut butter or a dollop of yoghurt & berries.